Let’s make 2017 a productive year for design. To help, the Society for News Design has a special gift for you: A distinct calendar highlighting the most important events during the year, featuring world-renowned illustrators.
The secret for outstanding work? The planning, of course! When designers and art directors have enough time, they can produce interactive projects or special infographics. Think ahead on the important dates, events, anniversaries and commemorations for the year.
Some tips for successful planning:
1) Choose a few projects to invest in, according to what you can deliver. Taking on too much can compromise the quality of the final result.
2) Sketch. A simple drawing can save you time.
3) Share tasks. Spread the work among people with the best talent available in your department.
4) Follow up. Check in constantly on projects to avoid surprises at the end. It will also help you to meet the final deadline.
5) Evaluate each step along the way. Ask the opinions of key people involved in the project. A fresh perspective can be a lifesaver.
Each design department team has their own style and process. Sharing your experiences within the design department can improve workflow in future.
“Planning is a beautiful word seldom heard in a newsroom. In such a fast-paced deadline driven environment, true good planning is a luxury, almost an extravagance” said Nuri Ducassi, creative director at The Toronto Star.
The Washington Post, a top winner in the SND competitions provides a great example to the advantages of a good planning work.
“For The Washington Post design team, involvement in the earliest stages of project conception and event planning has been a crucial part of our success,” says Greg Manifold, design director at The Washington Post.
SND CALENDAR 2017 – Free download
The SND2017 Calendar can help you to plan for the year ahead. Download it. Print it and share with your designers and editors.
“SND wants to help designers to improve the quality of their work; this calendar can be a good source for best designs planning and of course, it is also a great opportunity to highlight the incredible talented illustrators from SND community,” says Douglas Okasaki, SND 2017 president.
The calendar showcases the illustrators’ works from different parts of the world. The Society for News Design is thankful for their contribution and collaboration in this project.
Watch for a second version of the calendar, which will showcase the fabulous photography. Want to see your best picture in the calendar? Send it to us for consideration.