IFRA hands-on training for newspaper publishers
17 to 18 November 2008, Hyderabad
Training consists of lectures, discussions, case studies, critiques and small-groups exercises. Delegates will be required to bring examples of story projects that they think were designed well and, more importantly, examples of those that were not.
- Discovering your Inner Tabloid
- Elements and Principles of Design
- Case Study: Innovating on Deadline
- Maestro planning and small groups exercise - two page spread
- Case Study: Free commuter paper in Chicago
- Case Study: Redesign of San Jose Mercury News business section
- Small group exercise and redesigns using Maestro.
- Discussion to evaluate dynamics of visual planning, deadline news editing for photos, graphics and design
- What makes a strong cover?
- Maestro planning and small groups exercise - Cover
Who should attend:
Publishers, Editors, Designers, Sub-Editors, News Editors, Journalists, Photo Editors, Strategic Editors, Design Editors, Picture Editors and Copy Editors.
Robb Montgomery began his career as an editorial artist at the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel in 1990 after graduating from Eastern Illinois University with a degree in Journalism. He held an editing position at the Chicago Sun-Times, redesigned The Examiner, based in San Francisco, and helped launch the Baltimore, Maryland edition. Robb redesigned the business section for The San Jose Mercury News and was recognized by the Society for News Design for his work as art director for alternative news and entertainment weekly tabloid 'XS Magazine'. As art director for KidNewssection at the Chicago Tribune, Robb earned several awards from the SND competition including two bronze medals.
Robb has traveled extensively to Scandinavia, Asia, the Middle East, Canada and Eastern Europe since delivering a keynote speech on tabloid design at the World Editors Forum and World Newspaper Congress in Seoul, Korea in June 2005. Presently, Robb is the CEO of Visual Editors.com
click here for PDF brochure and online registration: